Rabies Submission Guidelines
Rabies Viral FA testing is performed by the CVMDL (Connecticut Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory) only when there has been NO significant human or domestic animal exposure.
- In cases involving human or domestic animal exposure (bite, scratch, mucous membrane contamination with blood or saliva, etc) Rabies Viral FA testing is performed by the
Connecticut State Department of Public Health Virology Laboratory at 395 West Street, Rocky Hill, CT 06067 (860) 920-6662
- If a complete necropsy is required, the animal may be sent to the CVMDL by prior arrangement. Under these circumstances rabies samples will be collected and forwarded to the Connecticut State Department of Public Health by courier. Rabies Viral FA testing will also be conducted at the CVMDL. The necropsy will not be performed until the animal is confirmed negative for rabies.
- In cases in which specimens submitted to the CVMDL for Rabies Testing Only must be sent by courier to the State Department of Health due to exposure status, a $25.00 shipping and handling fee will be charged. If a complete necropsy is required, the animal may be sent to the CVMDL by prior arrangement. Under these circumstances the shipping and handling fee is waived. The necropsy will not be performed until the animal is confirmed negative for Rabies virus.
- No live animals will be accepted by the laboratory. Submission of the head only is preferred. Specimens should be properly packaged – contained in two separately sealed heavy plastic bags, preferably within a sealed cardboard container. Each specimen must be accompanied by a submission form on the outside of the container.
- Rabies testing is performed Monday through Friday (excluding Holidays). Specimens should arrive at the laboratory prior to 1:00p.m. for same day testing. Specimens received during evenings, weekends, or holidays will be processed the next business day. Rabies examination results are reported to the submitter first by telephone, and also by case report sent by fax (if available), email, or US Mail.
- A fee of $30.00 is charged for Rabies Viral FA testing performed at the CVMDL. In addition, at the expense of the submitter CVMDL conducts Rabies Viral FA testing on all animals submitted without a current or confirmed rabies vaccination.
Connecticut Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
Department of Pathobiology and Veterinary Science
61 North Eagleville Rd., U-3089
Storrs, CT 06269-3089
Phone: (860) 486-3738 Fax: (860) 486-3936
Click here for a link to the Department of Public Health's Request for Rabies Examination
The rabies protocol manual is available on the Department of Agriculture's website and can be downloaded. The website also provides links to important contact numbers, quarantine and euthanasia information, a rabies specimen submission form for the DPH Lab, a rabies information brochure, human rabies prevention information, rabies statistics, and other pertinent information.
Potential Human Rabies Exposure
Regarding potential human rabies exposures, consultation with the Department of Public Health Epidemiology and Emerging Infections Program is available for veterinarians, physicians and others (eg. local health departments, animal control officers, conservation officers, wildlife rehabilitators, etc.) Staff is available 24/7 by calling 860-509-7994 during normal business hours or 860-509-8000 after hours and on holidays.